What's New in FactSage 5.4.1?
(Revised January, 2006)
FactSage 5.4.1 Update:
The FactSage 5.4.1 update was released in January 2006.
The update permits you to upgrade FactSage 5.0
(or update/refresh any more recent version 5.1, 5.2, ... etc.)
to FactSage 5.4.1 (January 2006).
If you wish to install FactSage 5.4.1 on a new PC then you must
first install the original FactSage 5.0 package (April 2001).
In order to upgrade to the complete FactSage 5.4.1 package you must run two programs:
- Update541.exe updates/refreshes the software, and
- Date541.exe updates/refreshes the databases.
Most of the changes in 5.4.1 with respect to 5.4 fix bugs reported in 5.4
and also improve server - client interactions as well as some intenational issues.
Some small changes to the programs and databases have also been carried out.
What follows is a list of the more important database and programming changes in
FactSage 5.4.1 (January 2006) with respect to FactSage 5.4 (August 2005).
- Windows XP
- Security key drivers
- New MemoHASP (dongle) 4.99 drivers (files) replace 4.96.
If you have 'Administrator Privileges' after 5.4.1 has been installed, to load the latest (4.99)
drivers run FactSage and click on the menu bar 'Tools > MemoHASP Security Key (dongle) > Install drivers '
- Administrator and Regular Users
- The Administrator can install and run FactSage however a Regular User may not be able to access FactSage
and its folder, or may see error messages such as
Run-time error '75': Path/File access error.
In such a case the Administrator must give the Regular User permission to access and change files in the
In 5.4.1 you can click on the menu bar 'Tools > Windows XP > Permit regular users access to FactSage ...'
and FactSage will try to permit regular users access to the FactSage folder and its sub-folders.
- The following bugs that appeared in the 5.4 software have been resolved in 5.4.1:
- Network - A Client installation may see a View Text Window about
refreshing databases from \FACTDATA - this message keeps repeating every 30 minutes or so.
- Equilib - An 'open' calculation is not possible unless the Reactant Windows
'initial conditions' is checked.
- Equilib & Phase Diagram - Calculations involving the mullite (Al2O3 - SiO2)
solution phase (FACT-MULL & FToxid-MULL)
or the Mg-Al gamma solution phase (FACT-AlMg & FTmisc-AlMg) are in error.
- EpH - The value of E(Volts) is in error by a factor of 4.184.
However in the calculated EpH diagram the disposition of the phase boundaries
and the relative positions of the H2(g) and O2(g) lines are all correct.
Likewise in the list of invariant points, the coexisting phases are correct
- Macro Processing - extensive modifications have been carried out to the
Macro Processing language that is called through the Equilib & Phase Diagram modules
(in the Equilib Reactants Window click on 'File > Macro Processing > Macro Processing - Manual').
New variables (SET PAGE, SET SELECT ..., SHELLEXECUTE, FORMATG) and thermochemical $variables$
(solution integral and partial properties; component lists and amounts; and more)
have been added.
An example of most thermochemical variables is given
in the new macro file 'EquiEx_List_Thermo.mac'.
An example of SET SELECT is given in the new macro file 'EquiEx_Set_Variables.mac'.
- FACT Xml - in the Equilib Results Window click on the Xml Icon
(or click on 'Output > Run FACT Xml ...').
The ChemSage format has been improved.
Both FACT and ChemSage formats may now be exported to an Excel spreedsheet.
- Improved interface for the Wagner Interaction Formalism
- Improved interface for 'Measured Variables' involving 'Initial Conditions' (DH, DG, DS, DV, …) :
more warning messages and information pop-ups.
- Debugging of Selected Parameters for the Redlich-Kister-Muggianu Model with L0, L1, L2, etc…
- Debugging of color codes for errors when '1/X', 'log X' or 'ln X' scales are used (output)
- New buttons in the Add/Edit Goup Form : 'Select all points for optimization', 'Unselect all points for optimization' and 'Auto resize column width'
- More than one 'Measured Variables' per group is now allowed
- The selected parameters for optimization are stored in the OPT file.
- Databases - Minor modifications have been performed on the following databases
- ELEM, FSlite, FSstel, FSnobl, FScopp, FToxid (compounds only) and SGTE.
Previous FactSage Updates
The following summaries are only available if you have updated your installation
with that particular version.
What's New in:
[F*A*C*T] [www.factsage.com] [GTT]